Court Revocation vs Suspension by North Carolina DMV – What Are the Different Types of License Suspensions
Drivers License issues, especially those involving DWI Impaired Driving, can be quite complicated – Danny Glover
What are some common reasons for a driver’s license revocation by DMV?
- Refusal of blood or breath test
- Excessive Speeding
- Acquiring too many points on one’s Driver’s license
What offenses will the DMV suspend my license?
How is a DMV hearing different than a Court trial for DWI?
DMV hearing issues:
- Not as Formal
- Normally takes place at DMV Office
- Hearing Officer, Not Judge
- Relaxed rules of Evidence and Admissibility of Materials
- Limited Appellate Rights / Procedures
For what reasons would the Court suspend my license?
- DWI Impaired Driving
- Certain Traffic Offenses
- Failure to pay child support
- Non-Compliance – Subpoena
- Paternity Establishment Proceedings
Modified Transcript of “What Are the Different Types of License Suspensions” for the Hearing Impaired
If you are convicted of a DWI or certain other driving offenses, the judge, as a condition of your sentence, may order that you not operate a motor vehicle in the states or highways of North Carolina.
That judgment of the court is then put into a computer system, a state-wide computer system that is shared with DMV, and then DMV is notified of certain convictions that you get.
The Judge normally sets forth the terms and conditions on what is called a Judgment and Commitment. They normally advise the accused, in “open court,” the sentence and conditions of imposition of the Judgment. That is true both in District Court and Superior Court.
The Clerk thereafter sends notice of the Court’s Order to the North Carolina Department of Transportation / Division of Motor Vehicles. The DMV may then also send written notification of suspension or revocation.
Convictions of offenses, especially during a period of revocation or suspension, may result in the imposition of an additional period of revocation by the North Carolina DMV.
DMV has its own set of rules and regulations where they will automatically impose DMV revocations or that DMV will refuse to issue you a new license for a certain period, depending on whether you have been convicted of one of those qualifying offenses.
It is important to understand, one can be suspended administratively by the Department of Transportation / Division of Motor Vehicles. The Court or Judge also has the ability, in certain circumstances, to Order a motorist not to drive.
The laws relating to Impaired Driving, License Revocation, DWLR Driving While License Revoked, NOL No Operator’s License can get complicated. It makes sense to talk with an experienced attorney to determine what options, if any, you may have.
Danny Glover is a past President of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice
He is available for confidential consultation
It is my goal to help people through difficult times with care and compassion – Danny Glover
Danny Glover is an experienced attorney. He handles both civil and criminal matters. Danny’s Civil caseload involves things like car wrecks and truck accidents. Criminal matters include allegations of DWI DUI Impaired Driving, Larceny, Assault and Drug Offenses.
“Personal Injury” type cases involve making claims for damages. “Damages” may include restitution for losses incurred as result of being in a wreck and include, but are not limited to things like:
- Property Damage
- Repairs to Vehicle
- Rental Car
- Personal Injuries – Doctor’s Bills, Medical Diagnosis and Treatment, Testing, Prescriptions, Medications, Surgery, Physical Therapy
- Permanent Injuries, Loss of Mobility,
- Disfigurement, Pain and Suffering
- Loss of Wages
- Lost Earnings and Capacity to Work
Criminal and Traffic Defense Lawyer:
Danny Glover helps people with a wide range of legals issues that arise from something as simple as the issuance of a Traffic Ticket, to something complex like Felony Death by Motor Vehicle:
- Voluntary Manslaughter
- Involuntary Manslaughter
- Breaking and Entering
- Possession of Drugs
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- PWISD Possession with Intent to Sell Deliver
- Possession of Alcohol
- Underage Consumption
- Unlawful Concealment
- Open Container
- Driving While License Revoked
- Driving While Impaired DWI BUI
- Boating While Impaired
- No Operators License
- Lane Violations
- Following Too Closely
- Stop Sign Red Light Violations
- Reckless Driving
- Speed Competitions and Racing
- Assault on Female
- Assault on Child
- Assault Inflicting Injury
- Assault on Government Personnel AOG
- Resisting Obstructing Arrest Law Enforcement
- Communicating Threats
- Misuse 911 System
- Assault by Strangulation
- Intoxicated and Disruptive
- Death by Motor Vehicle
DMV – Department of Transportation / Division of Motor Vehicles
Danny Glover also helps people with DMV Administrative Law issues such as:
- Ignition Interlock Violations
- Limited Privileges
- DMV Revocation Hearings
- Division of Motor Vehicles Restoration Hearings
- License Restorations
North Court of Appeals – Appellate Law
Attorney Danny Glover also has experience handling Appeals in North Carolina, which may include:
- Entering Notice of Appeal
- Obtaining Transcript of Proceedings
- Preparing and Filing a Record on Appeal
- Drafting Appellate Arguments and Responsive Pleadings
For More Information on “What Are the Different Types of License Suspensions” please call Danny Glover for a confidential consultation.